THE STUDIO MAGAZINE 1893 - 1916

IMG_9520.jpg
IMG_9486.jpg
IMG_9481.jpg
IMG_9573.jpg
IMG_9520.jpg
IMG_9486.jpg
IMG_9481.jpg
IMG_9573.jpg

THE STUDIO MAGAZINE 1893 - 1916

0.00

OI1124

First edition set of Studio Magazines in original green cloth and gilt embossed lettering

Includes editions 1 and 2 with front covers designed by CFA Voysey

69 volumes plus the index

The Studio: An Illustrated Magazine of Fine and Applied Art was founded by Charles Holme in 1893.  Holme had been working in the wool and silk trade and had travelled extensively in Europe, The United States and Japan.  One of his great travelling companions was Arthur Lazenby Liberty, the founder of Liberty’s. The idea of an art magazine was borne about from his belief that the chief barrier between countries was the language and that with a visual culture there would be a greater international understanding and harmony. 

The magazine was sold internationally and its aim was in promoting the work of ‘New Art’ by artists, designers and architects.   It was sold in British newsagents and was highly influential across Europe, Scandinavia and the USA.   

Holme admired the works of William Morris and purchased the Red House, living there from 1889 -1903 and where he founded his magazine, The Studio.  Holme concentrated on the new emerging young designers and architects such as Voysey, Ashbee and Mackintosh, promoting them vigorously via publication and discussion of their works.  Voysey designed the cloth cover for Volumes 1 and 2. 

Holme employed Joseph Gleeson White as Editor for the first couple of years before taking over himself until he retired in 1919, handing the helm to his son, Charles Geoffrey Holme.  Gleeson White was instrumental in forming the graphic character of the magazine having worked in New York, bringing a new and fresh look alongside latest printing technology.   He was an active designer and graphic artist and a member of the Art Workers’ Guild.  He continued to contribute widely to the magazine  until his early death in1898.


In 1894 and then from 1896 on, special numbers of the magazine were also published, normally three times a year with various titles and 117 were issued between 1894 and 1940.From 1906 onwards The Studio published an annual, The Studio Year-Book of Decorative Art, which dealt with architecture, interior design and design of furniture, lighting, glassware, textiles, metalwork and ceramics. These annuals promoted ‘Modernism” in the 1920s and later, The Good Design Movement.  

The last edition was published in May 1964 after which the magazine was absorbed into Studio International.London,


Add To Cart